I took the third part of the Praxis sometime back in June, on one of the hottest (at the time) days of the year, and was one out of 20 something people to actually finish the test. When they called time, I had just enough time left to scribble in a bubble for the one question I hadn't read, and I looked up to see a lot of my fellow ed majors -- lots of strangers to me -- looking sheepish and nervous.
Going into this thing, it was my understanding that we have three essays to write, plus a handful of multiple choice questions, all on putting the logic and learning of teaching into practice in the classroom, legal aspects of teaching, teacher/parent relations, and so forth. There are not three essays -- there are three case studies, and in each case study there are three questions to answer in essay form. Nine essays, 30 multiple choice questions, two hours.
Unless you know your teaching know-how like the back of your hand and can write reallyreallyfast, there is no way you can finish that test.
I'm waiting for July 14th now to find out how I did... without this passing score, I don't student teach this semester. And admittedly it is my fault for not taking this earlier and instead taking it at the very last possible moment. I may get lucky, I may not -- either way, it is not the end of the world, but it does put a very serious dent in my plans if things don't work out in my favor. I have a Plan B for the fall semester if things don't fall into place, and in the meantime I can concentrate on doing other things.
But Plan B involves a semester of biology and chemistry, because that's what I'm really digging right now and I need one more measley hour of science to finish my degree. I might just take 15 hours instead.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment